As you know, we just returned from a weekend of family camping bliss. I wanted to share with you the absolute best meal of the weekend: Campfire Cheese Steaks. We had people walking by and drooling I cooked these babies up.
Cheese steaks are simple to make and one of our family’s favorite meals. I adapted this to be a simple campfire meal.
Cooking the onions and peppers over the campfire filled our campsite with a mouth-watering aroma that was drawing nearby campers to our site just to see what we were cooking.
These are easy to assemble on site! You could also precook the peppers and onions, but I loved the experience of doing it over the campfire.
Campfire cheese steak perfection!
What is your favorite camping meal?
- 1 loaf french bread (or garlic bread)
- 8 oz deli sliced roast beef
- 1 onion
- 3 green peppers
- 2 T oil (to cook onions and peppers)
- 6-8 slice pepper jack cheese
- Cook onions and green peppers in 2 T oil.
- Slice french bread horizontally.
- Layer: roast beef, onion, peppers and cheese onto french bread.
- Completely wrap in foil.
- Place near campfire and cook until cheese is melted and gooey.