Like it or not, I'm mentally (if not physically) gearing up for the new school year. The weather is finally, finally nice, so this week is chock full of summer type activities. Like playing outside. Swimming. And picking blueberries. As far as school prep though, here's my list of what to do so far:
*Clear out school cupboards. I plan to empty these out and only put back in what we will be actively using this year. These cupboards are in our dining room, so anything not currently in use can be stored elsewhere.
* Sort big kids school stuff. For the last couple of years we have used magazine holders to sort each child's school books, but for my high school/ and middle schoolers they are just too small. So, I plan to store their books in the dividers in the living room shelf Chuck built.
* Find a place for our art supplies. If anyone out there has any suggestions on brilliant, efficient and/or visually attractive ways to sort school supplies, please, let me know.
* Make photo cards of kindergarten activities. This will be mainly for Avi and Tucker. I want to be able to slip a couple of cards into their school bins so they know what to do. My three highest-need students won't be in our little homeschool this year, so I really want to focus on getting these two off to a good start.
* Get an "inbox" for work that needs to be checked.
* Get school boxes for little kids. Find a place to store said school boxes.
* Write down academic goals for each child. These will be printed and placed in my school binder for my reference.
* Orgainize school planning notebook.
* Finalize list of books and curriculum to order.
That's my list so far…I also want to have the first month of school planned (worksheets copied, etc) before we begin. And thinking about the new school year has me thinking about a couple of posts to recommend resources, etc.
Is there anything you would like to know about? Any questions you have as I get my "back to school" posts up and running? Leave a comment and I'll add it to the posts I'm working on. Have any suggestions, awesome tips? Leave a comment. If you blog, feel free to leave a link to any posts that relate.
Oh, and be sure to enjoy the rest of summer!